Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Terry Goodkind

I started reading Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I like them. Pretty bloody. Very bloody. Sort of like Stephen King, but not as scary. The book jacket describes characters as "flawed" heroes. I agree. Sometimes too flawed, though.

The one thing. Well, I think Goodkind writes like he is a girl. The interactions between the sexes, and the introspection of the male characters is decidedly female to me. Can't completely put my finger on it, because if I mention any one example, say like guys projecting outcomes of conversation, you may say "well sometimes guys do that". True, but it happens far too much in this writing. Most guys I know, including me will talk only until it seems action is better.

Also Goodkind's descriptions of things; food, scenery, male and female bodies, buildings, decorations, creatures, and such. Well - it seems to be coming from a female critic writing for the Washington Post Magazine, or something like that. "...the rich brocade of velveteen bordered in double braided cord spun of golden ropes completed the complement of the majestic uniform perfectly fitting his sculpted body..." (not a real quote, but you know...)

Anyway, aside from that I am enjoying the series. My wife looked in the back cover and said "whoa, weird looking guy...intense!"

If you've a strong stomach and a "tolerant" mind and enjoy action adventure with too much interrelationship wordplay, I recommend the series.

No comments: